Sunday, October 10, 2010

21! Apples! Cooking!

I am finally twenty-one years old!  I am literally one of the very last people in my grade to turn 21, so this is a big deal.  No more missing out on fun nights because of my age!  Waahooo!  However, I have to admit that I am a very boring 21-year-old.  I have only bought a few drinks so far-lame.  In my defense, I'm not a fan of having to wake up at six in the morning after a night out (and I ALWAYS work at 6 am).  Oh well.  Friends: I promise to try to be more adventurous/21ish.  On that note, my friends and family helped me to have a fabulous birthday!  I am so blessed to have received multiple cards and gifts from loved ones.  They were all extremely appreciated and I feel so loved!  I am unfortunately still trying to catch up on my birthday dinners.  (Damn that busy schedule of mine!)  (P.S. have you figured out that I love using parenthesize yet? Have ya?)  Mom and nana came to Farmington and took Josh and I out to lunch today and it was great to see them!  Daddy and Griff are coming tomorrow for the FIRST time since we have been in our apartment, so I am excited for that too! 

I went to a wedding with Josh's family and we had so much fun!  It is the first wedding I have been to since being engaged so it was nice for Josh and I to see what we liked and didn't like about the night.  We took lots of mental notes! 


We also went apple picking last weekend!  We went to an awesome apple orchard that Josh's family always goes to and it was really fun!  They gave us a hay ride down to the trees and even sold homemade apple cider donuts (SOOO GOOD!), apple cider, apple pies, etc.  We also chose a pumpkin to bring back to his parents.  







We made the BEST apple dumplings with some of the apples!  Here is the recipe in case you are interested.  I definitely recommend them!

Apple Dumplings

2 medium sized apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks butter (we used low fat margarine)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon (for sprinkling)
12 oz. (1 can) Mountain Dew or Sprite. (WEIRD I KNOW!)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Peel apples and cut into 8ths. We used an apple corer/peeler (which slices the apples for us).  Cut the cored, peeled, sliced apple in half, and then divided each apple into 8ths.

Open a can of crescent roll dough and carefully separate the dough along the perforations. Place 1/8 of an apple on one segment of dough and then roll/wrap the apple in the dough. Place in the prepared pan and repeat with remaining apples and dough. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add sugar and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour butter/sugar mixture over the apples, then pour the can of Mountain Dew (or Sprite, although I've never actually tried it), on top of everything. Sprinkle the pan with cinnamon and bake for 40 minutes.

 When the dumplings are done, remove from oven and serve with a ladle-ful of sauce. They are small but one at a time was definitely enough to fill me up.  Vanilla ice cream is practically a requirement :)

I know it is a verrrry unhealthy recipe, but I promise it is worth it.  Also, next time we would probably half the butter and sugar and I think it would still be as good.   

Thats it for now.  If you are still reading, thanks for being a trooper.  Next time I will avoid waiting so long so my posts aren't 20 pages long.  <3


No comments:

Post a Comment